View previous topic :: View next topic  
La Ninka

re: vDSA (SLTT edition)

As at least four of us are aware, S'abor, Lillith, Trepus, and Trevaina have had their asses handed to them by the final boss quite a few times these past two weeks, and I can't stop thinking about it, so now I'm making this post to share some of my thoughts with you other three (and anyone else who's curious). Also, if I'm not the only one to run through this fight even in their dreams, you might wanna share some thoughts too.

First though, I wanna share this video of some crazies doing it in just two minutes: https://youtu.be/nk9ignGFrHI (beware of loud music)

I think the pull-explosions are on a timer, and if we look out for it we can see the boss charge it for several seconds before it happens each time. Also, it seems that the pull has the same radius as the flame attacks that summon atronacs, so if the boss is at one end, anyone standing at the other end won't get pulled. Notice that you never see the tank in the video after he leaves with the minibosses. I don't know if we can use this, but I thought it was at least worth knowing.

The attack that spawns flame atronacs are also on a timer, but according to what I've read (and seen in videos) that timer resets when the boss hits 75% and then becomes slightly longer. Might be quite useful to know.

Finally, I've speculated a bit about my build and my estimate tells me I might be able to survive and sustain better against the minibosses without any significant decrease to my single target damage if I equip a shield instead of bow and change a few abilities. My usual setup is all about multi target damage, and that's where I will pay for these improvements.

Specifically I expect to be able to apply minor maim to the miniboss myself (does Lillith already do that?) and apply major resolve and major ward to myself, obviously block more easily, and with the mealstrom shield I also expect better sustain. Other changes will be all about damage, so I won't bore you with those unless you ask.

I'll try to remember to practice that new rotation before we give it another go on saturday. I'll use my usual setup for all the other rounds regardless of how well the shield works out for me in practice.

Morrigan Duskhunter
Reaper's Council

No LILLITH does apply minor maim as she is my Emperess who has never run VDSA .

Lirael however is my healer and doesnt have Minor Maim either :P

Sabor and I have thought of a couple of tactics too since our last attempt which he will share later

S'Abor Duskhunter
Reaper's Council

Ok Ninka I have also been looking at videos and thinking this over since our last attempt too and I think we may have been trying this the wrong way... ish. I have looked into some other tactics with regards to my positioning of the fire, which will help. I also think that we have it right up until the 50% portion of the fight. This is where I wonder if your idea of giving yourself a little more defensibility is going the wrong way. I think we have the first 50% right. We split the first boss spawns at 75% and kill them in turn as before. Then when we get him to 50% we swap tactics. From 50% I take the two add bosses and you (or Morrigan if she feels up to it) takes the main boss. From here you guys just focus the main guy and I keep the others at bay. Then when he hits 25% and spawns more add bosses I can try to take them away from you too. Here it is executes all the way. We see from the videos that he does not have a lot of health and if we are quick and manage our resources right we should be able to finish him off before the adds can cause me too much trouble.

Well that's the idea anyway. Let me know what you think and I look forward to giving it another go on Saturday.

Damn it, here I thought I was clever with the names.

I definitely think your idea is worth trying, because we mostly died while those two buggers were distracting us as I recall

Regarding my setup the main question is: do we need massive aoe damage for this boss? If not then we can't really lose on the exchange if I'm correct that I can keep up my single-target damage and possibly even improve it simply by going full melee, even with a shield. Apart from the mage miniboss right before the next load of atronachs I don't stay much on my bow bar anyway, and I'll still slot two ranged abilities (plus ranged taunt). So yeah, do we need quite as much aoe damage? I'll still deal some, mind, just no volley.

I'll test it first. If you're interested I can make a brief (ha ha, as if I can keep anything brief) comparison between my usual bars and the ones I have in mind when I'm at my computer (on my phone right now). Playing around with builds is one of the most enjoyable aspects of this game imo.

I could probably deal even higher single target damage dual wielding if cruel flurry wasn't broken, but everyone says it is, so that's why I'm not even considering that.

S'Abor Duskhunter
Reaper's Council

I think that single target is definitely the way to go in that last fight seeing as theoretically you should never have to deal with more than one enemy at a time here and the fact that when we get him down to 50% the more damage we can do to him in as short amount of time as is possible is ideal. I look forward to seeing some of your build ideas that you come up with based on this content. Hopefully it might give some of our other guildies something to consider as well ^.^

I've had a lot on my mind these past few days, but I still got to work more on my idea and try it out. I've also realised that even taking its cost into consideration and if I didn't have the maelstrom bow, volley would be just about the strongest dot stamina ability against a single target available to a nightblade despite its 7 meter radius. Something something balance. What that means is I can improve my single target damage less than I hoped with a shield, and bow is a better option if I want to improve it a bit further yet, and the changes I've got to make then is pretty much the same as for shield. However, the difference between shield and bow comes out about 1k-1.5k dps, and I can still improve my damage slightly from last time while getting the defensive benefits of the shield.

My bars on the final boss round last time were:

Battleaxe (asylum): Brawler, Rally, Reverse Slice, Mirage, Power Extraction, Flawless Dawnbreaker

Bow (maelstrom): Arrow Barrage (Volley), Leeching Strikes, Reaper's Mark, Inner Beast, Caltrops, Ballista

My new bars for the final boss round:

Battleaxe (asylum): Brawler, Rally, Reverse Slice, Relentless Focus, Surprise Attack, Flawless Dawnbreaker

Shield (maelstrom): Heroic Slash, Leeching Strikes, Inner Beast, Lightweight Trap, Caltrops, Incapacitating Strike

The new skills on my bars are the bold ones. First, Relentless Focus instead of Mirage is just a somewhat obvious choice of damage over defence. Relentless focus is practically costless and in practice adds about 2k dps, not taking minor beserk into account since our healer provides that buff already. If it turns out I need that 15% dodge chance back (although I don't expect that), I'll slot the other morph of it this time, Double Take, since it provides a brief speed boost while mirage gives the minor resistance buffs that I also get from the healer already.

Surprise Attack instead of Power Extraction wasn't really a hard choice either once I realised I should move my focus to single target damage for this round. Trevaina's taking a break from her stealth business anyway and doesn't need the magicka morph for the moment. Since this is a shadow ability it will also give me major resolve and ward for 7.5 seconds every time I use it, and I ought to be able to keep it up at all times. That should mitigate about 10% of the damage I would otherwise have taken. It also applies major fracture to the enemy, which means I can ditch Reaper's Mark, unless neither Lirael nor Trepus applies major breach in which case I'll slot Reaper's Mark instead of Relentless Focus.

Incapacitating Strike is actually a really powerful ultimate if you manage to fire it often since it leaves a lingering 20% bonus to my damage against the target for 6 seconds. That way I estimate minor heroism from Heroic Slash will increase my (single target) dps with at least 3% (if I don't play right) but more likely 4-5%. Incapacitating Strike is also an assassination ability, I always try to keep one of those slotted on each bar to get my Hemorrhage passive (mainly the 10% extra crit damage), so I can slot Lightweight Trap instead of Reaper's Mark without losing that.

Lightweight Trap is just a rather good dot that also provides me with a passive fighter's guild bonus to my weapon damage on that bar and grants me Minor Force.

Heroic Slash, as you know, applies minor maim to the enemy, reducing their damage done by 15% and grants me minor heroism while dealing an acceptable amount of damage. I will use the minor heroism, as mentioned, to turn that "acceptable amount" into a good amount exceeding that of an extra Surprise Attack thrown in. With the Maelstrom Shield it is also practically free if I land a fully charged heavy attack within 5 seconds after. If I'm clever I do those heavy attacks with my battleaxe for higher damage right before my Incapacitating Strike is charged (just 70 ult) and then switch back, throw a lightweight trap and fire incapacitating strike before the trap arms so the follow-up bonus from my two handed heavy attack applies to my ultimate and the strong dot from the trap starts almost immediately after I get the damage bonus from Incapacitating Strike, taking full advantage of that as well. I won't pretend I'll manage to time it just right every time, though, but it's a neat combo to have in mind. So neat, in fact, that I wanted to share it.

Now, as I first said I can improve my damage a bit further by going back to bow. I'll simply slot volley instead of Heroic Slash. That will raise my dps by about 1.5k while the boss no longer will be maimed. Personally I think 15% less damage done to the three of us is worth that price, and quite possibly it will relieve the healer enough that she can deal a biiiit more damage or throw a feeew more shards to make that price even less than 1.5k. And even with the shield I'll still deal more damage than last time, so yeah, I'm leaning towards that, but of course I won't destroy my bow right before the final boss, so I can always go back to it if I/you/we change my mind.

You (and anyone else lurking this thread) are welcome to ask if you're curious about some other detail in my build. Frankly I kinda love talking about it.

S'Abor Duskhunter
Reaper's Council

Well... we did it ^.^ keep an eye out for our walkthrough when we get round to it on our Wiki!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: